Cambridge, Mass. – The Lesley Men's Soccer team dropped their season opener in overtime to Regis College, 1-0. It was the opening match of the 2018 campaign for both squads.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynx came right off kick off with their closet opportunity to score in the match. Just ten seconds in, Beowulf Urban struck the crossbar, and the Pride defense was able to clear the ball out of the danger zone.
- Regis dominated the corner kick game 10-3, and shots 17-9, but their two closest opportunities came late in the second half and were stopped by two great defensive plays by the Lynx.
- In the 80th minute, Regis's Derek Traina ran down a cleared ball as it entered the attack zone and got a shot off before the trailing Lynx defender reached him. A charging David Crutchfield made a diving save to keep the Pride off the scoreboard.
- In the 87th minute Traina had an open shot at the top of the box to what looked like an open right side of the net. Lynx first year defender Tyler Gomes blocked the shot just in front of the goal line to bring the contest into over time.
- Three minutes into overtime Lynx defender Tiago Pacheco committed a foul inside the box to force a Regis penalty kick. Traina struck the back of the net just outside the reach of diving Crutchfield to secure the 1-0 overtime victory for the Pride.
"It was a tough game today against a very tough Regis squad," said head coach James Costa. "They're a well coached team that is very talented and works hard, and we played well today against them. We just didn't get the luck we needed with a simple turnover in the midfield that cost us, but very happy with the effort and we're getting to where we want to go."
Lesley continues its home stretch when they host Curry College on Wednesday September 5th with a kick off time of 8pm.