Chestnut Hill, MA: Lesley battled hard in their season-ending non-conference game at Pine Manor College on Tuesday, April 10. Pine Manor won all three sets but they had to work for their victory with the final score showing that; 25-20, 25-22, 25-16. The Lynx finished their campaign with a 0-19 record and 0-12 in the NECC while the Gators, also ending their season on the night, conclude 2018 with a 3-14 record.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Lesley never trailed during the first 15 points of the maiden set and gained their opening kill of the night through Steven Newman from a Karuna Chiemruom set-up. That point put the Lynx 9-6 ahead.
- Chiemruom continued to play a supportive role as he assisted Alexander Genova for two kills, the second of which made it 12-10 in Lesley's favor.
- AGenova's third kill of the set, after earlier converting two service aces, put the visitors 19-18 clear. However, that was as good as it got for Lesley as Pine Manor scored seven of the next eight points to claim the first set.
- The second set was extremely tight in the opening exchanges as the teams were tied on six occasions by the time Genova made it 11-11 with a kill.
- Pine Manor responded by gaining the next two points before Lesley enjoyed their longest run of the set of four points which restored their lead at 15-13. The highlight of Lesley's run was a service ace from outside hitter Steven Newman.
- The Lynx were unable to keep the positive momentum going as Pine Manor added eight of the next 10 points to go four clear, 21-17.
- Lesley kept battling right to the end of the set with further kills from Genova and Gersbeck. However, Pine Manor had the final say as a Jonathan Higginbotham kill in the final play gave them the second set by a three point margin.
- Despite conceding the first three points of the following set, Lesley responded to go 8-6 clear with Andrew Medeiros, Genova and Gersbeck all contributing kills for the away team.
- The turning point of the set occurred thereafter as Pine Manor posted nine points in succession, including four kills and two service aces, to sprint 15-8 clear.
- The nearest that Lesley could get back to within the hosts was four points when Medeiros scored with a service ace to leave the Lynx 17-13 adrift. Lesley added just three more points in the final set including another Genova kill from the team's main provider, setter Karuna Chiemruom.
- Genova was Lesley's best performer on the night with eight kills and two service aces.