Cambridge, MA: In their second meeting of the season, Mount Ida College claimed the victory over Lesley on Thursday, March 29. The Mustangs won the previous match 3-0 and tonight's match in straight sets (25-14, 25-8, 25-10). Lesley's record stands at 0-10 overall and 0-5 in the NECC while Mount Ida sits at 12-15 overall.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Lesley made a positive start to this home fixture as they held the lead on a number of occasions until Mount Ida's Kevin Vanderhorst tied the game up at 6-6. Colin Holter scored with a kill for the Lynx during this competitive period.
- The Newton school tagged on another five unanswered points to bring their streak to seven, which left them with a 11-6 winning margin. In the remainder of the opening set, the closest the Lynx could get to their opponents was three points when a attack error by Kevin Vanderhorst left the Mustangs leading by just 13-10. Steven Newman scored with a kill for Lesley in the previous play.
- Lesley's last kill of the opening set came from middle hitter Colin Holter who was assisted by John Gersbeck following a Kevin Vanderhorst service.
- The Lynx opened the scoring in the second set through a kill from outside hitter Steven Newman. It materialised into being just a brief advantage for Jim Ray's troops as Mount Ida powered back with a nine point run that included a trio of service aces from Tyler Dorfman and a pair of Kevin Vanderhorst kills.
- Only one of Lesley's seven remaining scores in the second set came in the form of a kill. Junior John Gersbeck was the scorer after he was teed up by setter Karuna Chiemruom.
- Lesley was even three times with Mount Ida early in the third set. The last occasion the teams were tied was at 3-3 when Alexander Genova added a kill from a Karuna Chiemruom set.
- The Mustangs drove clear in the third set with a pair of six point streaks followed by a four point run to claim their 12th victory of their campaign.
- Karuna Chiemruom gained two kills for Lesley in the final set, set up on the first occasion by junior Steven Newman and then by opposite William Sgro.
- Three of Lesley's players scored two kills in this non conference game; Colin Holter, Steven Newman, and Karuna Chiemruom.
Lesley travel to play Newbury College in two conference games on Saturday, March 31. The games are scheduled to start at 11am and 1pm with the latter contest counting as a home fixture for the Lynx.